Papagomo Faces Contempt of Court Action Over Defamation Case

KUALA LUMPUR: Businessman Abdul Razak Mohd Noor is initiating contempt of court proceedings against Papagomo over a defamation suit.

He is seeking for a court order to commit Wan Muhammad Azri Wan Deris (pic), identified by the High Court as Papagomo, to prison or be fined.

He is also initiating similar proceedings against third parties whom he claimed plotted with Papagomo and another blogger Parpukari to defame his reputation in their blogs.

He named Faris Najhan Hashim, Looh Siong Chee and Hew San Mei, as third parties.

He is also claiming that the application by third parties to oppose the committal (contempt of court) proceedings was misleading, afterthought and should be rejected by the court.

His lawyer Reuben Netto said the committal proceedings was in relation to two articles defaming his client, him (Reuben) and judges, including the trial judge who presided a defamation case, in their blogs.

Speaking to reporters here on Tuesday, Reuben said that High Court Judicial Commissioner Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera has set May 21 to hear the contempt application.

On Sept 13 last year, JC Vazeer Alam had identified Wan Muhammad Azri as the blogger Papagomo and ordered him to pay RM500,000 in damages to the businessman in the defamation suit.

JC Vazeer Alam held that Abdul Razak had proven his libel claim against the blogger as required by the law.

JC Vazeer dismissed the defence by Papagomo that the article posted in his blog on Dec 11, 2011, was a fair comment given in the public’s interest.

JC Vazeer said that the businessman had called his witness, blogger Mohd Fauzi Mohd Azmi, who owns the blogspot known as “Perisik Rakyat” to assist the court in identifying 30-year-old Papagomo.

In his RM10mil suit filed against Wan Muhammad Azri on Jan 26, 2012, Abdul Razak, 59, claimed that the article published by the blogger portrayed him as a liar who earned millions of ringgit after obtaining a contract for the Commonwealth Games held in Malaysia.

The court granted a permanent injunction to restrain Papagomo and his agents from further publishing defamatory words against Abdul Razak in any manner.

However, the Court of Appeal had last month reduced the quantum of damages from RM500,000 to RM300,000 after unanimously upheld the High Court’s decision, which found Wan Muhammad Azri liable of defaming Abdul Razak.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.